An iPhone is a small device that holds precious moments, essential documents, presentations, contacts, and many more. But storage capacity is a problem with many of the users.
A survey done in 2015 among iPhone users found that almost 40 percent complained that their device got out of storage within one month.
If we talk iPhone 6, has a storage capacity of almost 16GB. But now, in iPhone 14 pro has a storage capacity of 1TB. But the problem still exists in iPhone 14 pro.
The system data in iPhone consumes almost all the data, and finally, your device gets out of storage. In short, your iPhone becomes full of files, and you must delete various things to install one application or update applications on your iPhone.
System data does not include your saved photos or documents. It includes voice memos, languages, fonts, Siri voices, etc. Deleting these things from time to time is essential so your device can have storage capacity.
The article discusses how to delete system data on iPhone. So, keep reading this article to know more about the system data and how to delete it from your iPhone.
What Is System Data On iPhone?
Before going into many details regarding deleting system data on iPhones, you must know about the system data. It is responsible for lacking iPhone storage capacity within less than one month. So, what is this system data?
IPhone has a storage section where you can find how much any category has occupied in your device, like media, apps, and many more. But unfortunately, system data does not fall into these categories.
It is a place where voice memos, settings, or any random data Apple considered as other storage in previous versions of the iPhone. The files are too small to have a different category and hence referred to as system data.
Unfortunately, it’s pretty challenging to identify these files and delete them within regular intervals. However, it is not impossible. There are a few tips to get rid of this solution.
How Can I View my iPhone System Data Storage?
You can view your iPhone system data storage quite easily. You need to go to the settings of your iPhone and then tap General and then iPhone Storage. You can view their various applications and how much space they have covered in your device.
The storage capacity space may take seconds to appear on your iPhone. So, wait patiently.
Now scroll down to the bottom of your iPhone, and you will find system data. It should be within the 5 to 10 GB range. But if it becomes more than 10 GB, you need to clean some data from your device.
How To Delete System Data On iPhone?
Fortunately, there are various ways to delete system data on iPhones. We are listing some of them below.
1. Clear Safari Cache
Whenever you browse anything on your iPhone, it creates cached data and saves it as system data. It will help the websites to load faster. But as time passes, the accumulated data will slow down your device.
We have discussed below how you can clear your Safari cache.
- Open settings applications on your iPhone.
- Tap general and then iPhone storage.
- You will see an application list. You need to scroll down and find Safari.
- Tap Of Safari
- Tap on the website data
- Now scroll to the bottom of the page and tap on Remove all website data.
2. Review Downloaded Videos
If you have downloaded many videos on your iPhone, like movies from Netflix, then you must review the downloaded videos on your device to clear system storage.
- Go to the storage screen of your iPhone.
- Tap review downloaded videos.
- Tap on the edit button and then tap on the red minus sign.
- Tap the delete option so that you can delete the downloaded video
- Tap done
- Now you must delete all the unnecessary downloaded videos, which take up much space on your device.
3. Review And Delete Large Attachments
The large attachments you may receive or send messages to your friends or families can be a significant cause for running out of storage capacity. These larger attachments can become a big part of system data. Deleting these larger attachments can be a solution to this problem.
Well, you can delete them easily by following the below steps.
- Go to the storage screen of your iPhone device.
- Tap message application
- Tap photos to view the attachments you sent or received on your device.
- Tap on videos and others to check the larger attachments.
- You need to click on edit after tapping any of the above options.
- Select the photos or videos you wish to delete, then tap the delete icon.
- The larger attachments will now be deleted, and your device will have enough storage space.
4. Enable Autodelete Message On Your Device
Messages on your iPhone are also a part of system data and take up a lot of space in your device. You need to enable auto-delete messages on your device so that the messages get deleted after a certain period.
You can enable auto-delete messages on your device by following the below steps.
- Open the settings application on your iPhone.
- Tap on messages
- Tap on keep messages.
- Now choose either one year or 30 days.
- The messages will be deleted automatically after the period.
5. Review Notes And Voice Memos
Are you opening a note in your I cloud account? If yes, then it creates system data that occupy a lot of storage space in your device. The same also holds for the voice memo app. So you need to review the notes and voice memos on your device and delete the unnecessary one which creates system data.
Let’s discuss your steps to review notes and voice memos.
- Open the Notes app on your device
- Swipe left by choosing note and then tap on the delete icon, and it will be deleted.
- Repeat the procedure for deleting all the unnecessary notes.
- Similarly, open the voice memo app on your device
- Choose a voice memo and then swipe left.
- Tap on the delete icon to permanently delete it from the device.
6. Switch Off Location Data
Are you sharing your location by an app? If yes, that data is stored on system data, which will again occupy a lot of space in your device. So, it’s better to switch off location data by the settings application on your device.
7. Delete Cached Data On apps
Some applications on your iPhone take up a lot of space and thus lead to system data. For instance, if the podcast data takes over 2 GB, it is probably filled with cache data.
You can delete and reinstall the app on your device to clear all the cached data. You must follow the steps below to delete an application on your iPhone.
- Open the settings application on your iPhone and then tap on General.
- Tap on iPhone storage
- You will find a lot of apps.
- Select the one which has acquired a lot of space and then delete the application.
- You need to visit the app store then and then install the app once again.
8. Back Up And Erase
Have you tried all of the above methods and still facing the problem of system data? Does your iPhone have no storage left?
If yes, you can erase everything on your iPhone and start again. However, you need to back up everything; otherwise, you will lose crucial data.
9. Clear The Browsing History
We usually neglect the browsing history and keep it so that we can quickly visit the website we visited earlier. But remember that this browsing history can create system data and indirectly take up a lot of space on your device.
So, you need to delete the browsing history from time to time. The browser will also run smoothly after deleting the history.
For instance, if you use Google Chrome on your iPhone, open the application and tap the three-dot icon on the bottom. You need to tap on history and click on clear browsing data at the bottom of the page.
System data take up a lot of storage space in your device, a significant problem for most users. It is a place where caches. Voice memos or random data are stored. The small files cannot be categorized separately and grouped as system data.
We have listed above how to delete system data on your iPhone.You can use these methods to delete system data. If everything fails, then you can start uploading files on iCloud.
You can delete all the files in this way from the device. But only 5 GB of iCloud storage space may not be sufficient for you. That’s why you need to buy additional storage space from Apple.
FAQ : How To Delete System Data On iPhone
Q1. Why is my iPhone storage full after deleting everything?
Ans : It may be because your device can have a lot of cache files for a long time, and now it’s difficult for your iPhone to handle. You need to clear these files so your device can have a lot of space
Q2. What is system data on iPhone storage?
Ans : The system data includes caches, messages, Siri voices, local key chain data, and many more. You need to delete the system data to have more storage space in your device.
Q3. How can I improve my iPhone storage?
Ans : You can improve your iPhone storage in the following ways.
-Delete all the text messages
-Find the application that takes a lot of space and then delete it. You can visit the store and reinstall it.
-Delete unnecessary photos
Delete apps from the home screen.